International Childhood Cancer Day (ICCD) is a global call to action in the fight against childhood cancer. It is estimated that there will be more than 413,000 cases of childhood cancer around the world in 2024. Approximately 80% of the world’s children with cancer live in low-to-middle income countries where only 20% will survive. With survival rates greater than 80% in high-income countries, ACCO supports ICCD as we work with the World Health Organization’s Global Initiative for Childhood Cancer and the goal to cure 60% of the world’s children with cancer by 2030.
You’ve Lived It, Now Share Your Story:
When it comes to the battle against childhood cancer, it can be all too easy to feel lost or alone from day to day. ACCO is here to remind you that you are not alone. We want to hear from YOU. Join us as we open the floor for discussion, insight, connection, and catharsis. We care about your journey. How did you become a part of the ACCO community? How has your life been impacted by childhood cancer?
TELL US YOUR STORY
Launching on February 15 2024! Childhood cancer knows no borders— neither should the cure. ACCO is crossing borders to support children with cancer across the globe, and you can help!CLICK THIS BUTTON ON FEB 15
Read Their Stories
This year on ICCD, we are sharing stories written by parents in an effort to raise awareness for childhood cancer. By sharing stories, we hope to inform others about the challenges faced by children and their families battling cancer.
Raise Awareness on International Childhood Cancer Day
- Host a PJammin® or GO GOLD® event. These two distinct programs help raise funds for kids with cancer and awareness that the cause so desperately needs. Sign up today by clicking here for PJammin® or here for GO GOLD®.
- Share statistics and facts on your social media. Access these graphics and many more by clicking here!
- Take Action in Your State. States have a critical role to play in overcoming the national disparity between adult and childhood cancer research, treatment, and support. YOU can join the movement to make meaningful change by engaging policy makers at the local and state level. Click here to learn more.
- Purchase a childhood cancer shirt from ACCO’s store. There is something for everyone in our store, whether you’re a fighter or part of a support team – you’ll find gear to raise awareness. Click here to browse our Bonfire store.
The proceeds from donations and shirt sales will support advocacy and specialized resources for cancer’s littlest patients.
Download these graphics and share on your socials to raise awareness!
International Statistics You Should Know:
- Globally, it is estimated that there were more than 413,000 cases (diagnosed and undiagnosed) of childhood cancer in 2020.[i]
- Globally, it is estimated that approximately 328,000 children died from cancer in 2020 (diagnosed and undiagnosed), with a projected rise to 390,000 deaths per year by 2050. This equates to 11.1 million children’s deaths from cancer by 2050 if no additional investments are made to improve access to diagnosis and treatment. [i]
- Globally, only 44% of children with cancer are correctly diagnosed. [i]
- Childhood cancer is the leading non-communicable disease killer of children around the world, regardless of where they live.[i]
[i] Atun, Rifat, et al. Sustainable Care for Children with Cancer: a Lancet Oncology Commission. Apr. 2020, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(20)30022-X.
Learn more about International Childhood Cancer by clicking here.